D-Link 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Metal Desktop Switch (DGS-108)

  • Eight (8) 10/100/1000 Mbps Ports
  • Inexpensive Gigabit Ethernet solution for SOHO, small and medium businesses
  • Supports IEEE 802.1p QoS traffic prioritization
  • Built to last: rugged metal housing, fanless
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty

Well built switch. My whole house is hard wired and I have a wireless router. My old Linksys switch which was 5 or 6 years old was dropping ports and I was not able to hook up all of my jacks. Then the remaining ports started sowing the connection speed to a point that PC's connected would lag and freeze. My old Azus wireless router was also failing as the 5GHZ speed was not working so everything stayed on 2.4GHZ. The hard part was finding an 8 port switch. D-Link had it and the price was right. Super easy plug and play installation, and with a new AZUS wireless router my internet speeds are super fast, maxed out bars, and every jack is connected.

Pay attention if you're using shielded cables, you need a router that minds the shields, too. This one does. I bought a GS308 Netgear without considering the non existent shield connections and so it will be relegated to the home theater for the TV, DVD player and my phone line switch for land line. It's still a gigabit hub, but the shielding isn't much in play as the connections to the hub are unshielded 568B RJ45s. This one, the D-Link with its shielded ports, will run my new shielded cables into my laser printer, laptop and two PCs. I could be worse off. Right off the bat i'm getting 360-400 MB/S and all home theater devices are working without incident. I don't use wireless, the routers are all turned off in my new, strange Xfinity router, the one with only two ethernet ports out, which necessitated all this, the old one had four. Good job D-Link.

I have another switch from another company and I have to say this switch was 10x easier to install than the other one because the how to graphic that comes in the box really made it easy. On my other switch I didn't understand that I had to run it through my router, to get the split. This brand does a good job very simply laying it all out for you. I recommend this to other novices like me. I also really like metal boxes because they are easy to ground should you choose to do so. I just screwed a ground connector into the side of the box where there wasn't any circuitry with a self tapping screw and attached the ground wire to it and into the ground only 3 prong plug and it reduced body voltage to almost nothing. This of course only works with a properly wired grounded outlet, so you'd want to check with an outlet tester first. Then if wired correctly you can do the above. If not it would increase body voltage most probably. This was important to me since we hardwired our house so we could turn off wifi for health reasons as it is incredibly damaging to our cellular health.

This works really well if you want to connect all of your entertainment devices at the TV stand to have internet connection and it works great. I used it for just that and now my Fire TV, my TV, DVR and DVD player all have an internet connection with no setup issues. I really didn't need 8 ports but you never know when you will need an extra port for something new. My internet connection is only 62 Mbps so I can't speak to the actual Gigabit speed of the router but all of my devices are running at or a little above 50 Mbps which so far has worked out good for what I needed it for. And it doesn't hurt that the price was right!

Bought this to replace an old (much slower) D-Link switch that has served us flawlessly since around 2005. We were having some buffering issues with hi-def videos on Netflix and Prime on our wired network. My young teenage son eagerly set this up in about 5 minutes. (No exaggeration!) It is working perfectly right now. If anything changes I will update. I've almost always had good results from D-Link products.

1- no stars for tech support BECAUSE I DIDN’T NEED IT. Thank you. 2- effortless networking 3- significantly simplified my networking of 5 computers in 2 dwellings and 2 offices. At first I thought I wouldn’t need the device and would return it. We have a duplex and two offices. There are routers and computers throughout. I am NOT an IT professional, but everyone counts on my to make it happen. We pay for faster internet speeds than we were getting. After researching out equipment specs I found we had a few bottlenecks that cut us down from 170 mps to 70. With the purchase of one new router and this device we are up to the speeds we are paying for and it was very easy to install.

This was a perfect and inexpensive upgrade to my CAT5E wired LAN. With my old 10/100 Fast Ethernet router I was only getting 15 mb/sec download while I pay for a 100 down 10 up broadband cable. With this switch I am now getting over 100 mb/sec on anything connected to CAT5. I also upgraded my modem to a DOCSYS 3.1, but I first tested with my old 3.0 modem and was reliably getting 90 mb/sec. This is a great switch for an average house that has drops wired in bedrooms plus living room etc.

This product does exactly what you would expect from D-Link. It came in very useful with the Google Wifi products given that they only have 1 Ethernet output. This device allow me to connect all of the units in and behind the living room entertainment center. I was using a 10/100 switch before, but that limited my high-speed bandwidth for any device connected behind it. With this gigabit switch, I gained 4 additional ports and full download speeds. Once the AT&T gigabit fiber goes active in our neighborhood (they're installing it now), my home office network will be on fire!

Plugged it in and it worked Right off the start as advertised. The LED's Blink Green for cables that are operating @ 1000 Mbps and amber for cables that are operating at 100 Mbps. I used this to replace 2 aging D-link routers that I was using as switches. They had reached a point where they would work for a day or two and then cause a conflict on the primary Carrier provided router taking down the entire network. This one switch was able to replace both pieces of equipment and was much easier with its plug and play ability then all the configuring I needed to do to make the Routers function as switched. I'm very Pleased with this purchase and would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a cheap and easy way to add more Ethernet ports to there small home network.

Plug and play, EZ-PZ, all that stuff. Works just fine right out of the box. I had one simple problem. I have all the plug-in keystones in a "structured wiring enclosure", or a metal box set into a studwall. It also encloses this switch. That box isn't very deep, and I put an outlet in it for this switch, but the wall wart power supply is so elongated that there's no room in the box as it sits cross-ways to the orientation of the duplex outlet, and intrudes into the plane of the enclosure's cover plate. If you have this sort of power arrangement hidden in your wall box, you might need a multi-tap that effectively rotates the outlet ninety degrees, such as B001UE7SC8 (and others) here. Just a heads-up...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protective Silicone Cover Compatible with Ring Stick Up Cam Battery - Accessorize and Protect Your Ring Camera (Brown)

10pcs/Set Hose Clamps Stainless Steel Heavy Duty T-Bolt Mini Fuel Line Pipe Clips 6mm-20mm Optional Size for Plumbing(8-10mm)

303 30604CSR (30604) Fabric Guard Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz.